Participate in the training for professionals at the health center (examples of themes: Public Health, Clinical Psychoanalytic Clinic of Children) Participate in talks opened to the community (examples: Attention for Pregnant Woman) Participate in meetings of the mental health team. Collaborate in the realization of Admissions. Participate in meetings and outings to the neighborhood of the interdisciplinary team. If the volunteer is interested, they can collaborate in the play and Reading room.
What can you learn as a volunteer?
It is an opportunity to put into practice previous studies in psychology and learn different perspectives on mental health. Volunteers will also learn about the culture and functioning of the public health system in Argentina from a promotion and prevention approach. Therefore, volunteers will learn how a prevention approach on mental health works in a community and it's importance. The volunteers will learn a lot from the interdisciplinary exchange that happens in the health center both in the meetings and in the activities carried out.
Soft skills that volunteers are most likely to develop at the health center
Long term volunteers can apply for a soft skills certificate from GLORE, a Project from the EU. You can choose up to 5 skills to certificate according to your experience and will.
- Communication and Active Listening
- Critical Thinking
- Ethics and Work Commitment
- Multicultural Awareness
- Organization and Time Management
- Self Awareness
- Stress Management
- Team Work
Volunteering hours will be evaluated by each volunteer and coordinator (no more than 20 hours per week). Project available between March and November.
Location and first day at work
The health center is located in La Boca, about 30 minutes in public transport from the Volunteer's House. On your first day, you visit the Institution accompanied by the volunteers' coordinator so you learn how to get there and be aware of the facilities and staff. Then you have a meeting with the director to arrange a precise schedule and activities.
Alcira is the local coordinator in the Psychology area of the Health Center. She and our Volunteer Coordinator welcome volunteers and follow them during their experience. They will provide the volunteer with all the information and schedule on their first visit to the center.
- Valid Passport & Visa: Most travelers do not need a visa to enter Argentina. Volunteers enter the country as tourists and can stay for up to 90 days. Extensions on visas are possible; our coordinators will advise you on this process.
- Medical Insurance: Voluntario Global requires the volunteer to have adequate medical insurance for the duration of the program and must be provided with details of such insurance coverage at the time of confirming their placement.
- The academic level of the volunteer must belong to the areas of psychology or social work.
- Spanish Level Required: Advanced (C1- C2)
- Minimun stay: 12 weeks